Other Questions

What should I bring to an assessment?

If you have a young child then please bring along whatever you think might put them at ease (e.g. a favourite toy). For older children, it is often useful if they bring their current school reading book.  They may also want to bring a favourite book or computer game to keep them occupied while you are talking with our professionals.

Please make sure you bring your child’s hearing aids or cochlear implants and any batteries you may need. Also, if your child wears glasses or uses any other aids while in school (e.g. colour overlays when reading) then please bring these with you. Please also bring any recent reports that you were not able to send to us prior to the assessment day.

The Burwood Centre is equipped with tea, coffee, squash and biscuits. You might like to bring other snacks for your child. You can choose to bring a packed lunch to eat at the Centre or to go out for lunch. We are a short drive away from a Waitrose Restaurant and the Chieveley Services off the M4. 

Who should I bring to an assessment day?

Occasionally parents like to bring along another relative or friend who can support them and this is fine. Local professionals, such as your child’s Teacher of the Deaf are also very welcome.  Sometimes it is necessary for families to bring siblings along with them and if you have to do this, it is a good idea to bring something that will keep them amused. Please inform us before the assessment of any additional people who will be attending.

Please indicate on your referral form if you need an interpreter.

How do we work with other professionals?

The Burwood Centre is occasionally commissioned by Local Authorities to provide a second opinion or a more in-depth multidisciplinary assessment. This tends to be for very complex children and/or where the Local Authority does not have access to any staff of their own with sufficient specialist training or knowledge. Sometimes the Local Authority might have a specific question; for example, does the child have an additional language or learning difficulty?

Whenever parents give us permission we are very happy to share assessment results and recommendations with the child’s local professionals. Sometimes we find that although a family has referred their child to the Burwood Centre themselves this has been recommended to them by a local professional, such as a Teacher of the Deaf or a Speech and Language Therapist.

Many families find out about the service provided by the Burwood Centre from their National Deaf Children’s Society’s representative. In this instance we are happy to liaise with the family’s NDCS representative to ensure that we give the information that is needed in order to address the family’s current needs from our assessment.

We are happy for professionals to join families on their visits to the Burwood Centre, provided that this is the family’s wish. We have welcomed families who have been accompanied by their local Teacher of the Deaf, Social Worker or NDCS representative.

Although we send the child’s Burwood report directly to the parents where they have commissioned the assessment, most parents then share this report with their local professionals so that what is known about their child is enhanced and any recommendations can be considered.